January 17, 2011

The Sketchbook Project.

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

I was lucky enough to hear about the Arthouse Co-op's Sketchbook Project and participate in the 2011 tour. You can click on the picture to learn more about this project and other projects they start (and you can participate in one, too). The Sketchbook Project is basically a touring art exhibit that behaves more like a library than anything else. Thousands of people have sent in their own sketchbooks. The books go on tour and viewers are invited to pick through tons of different books and check them out if they want to. I hope to be able to make it to one of the stops if I can this year.

For my sketchbook, I ripped all of the pages out of the spine and reassembled them into an accordion book. This project really worked as a great practice mock book for my previous accordion book (which I still haven't fully put together. I'm too scared to, really). I like this style of book because it really becomes totally interactive for the viewer; it reminds me of a cross between a toy and a movable sculpture. Also, the imagery might be familiar because I took my last painting, "That Feeling of Being Utterly Alone in the Universe" and cut it up to fit the pages of my sketchbook. I switched around some of the panels around so they would make more sense in this format, but all in all, I'm happy with my decision.

2 comments:

  1. i don't intend to detract from the integrity of your work, but this is startlingly close to what i had envisioned if you were to do artwork for our EP. such a bleak, yet hopeful landscape.

    ReplyDelete