December 23, 2012

Sculptures from a hidden place.

Last month I had a solo show called "A Hidden Place" and I wanted to share some of the work from that with you. For the first time, I really explored some of those forms and ideas that have been haunting my sketchbook for years. 


-"You, Indecisive Creature", raw clay, branches, acrylic paint, yellow iron oxide, 1.5' tall.


-"A Conversation on Two Mountaintops", raw clay, sod, oxides.


-"Small Creature", raw clay, branches, acrylic, salt, corn syrup, wood glue, 1.5' tall.


 -"Growth", raw clay, scrap steel frame, chicken wire, corn syrup and acrylic, 6.5' tall

 

-"Growth - detail", raw clay, scrap steel frame, chicken wire, corn syrup and acrylic, 6.5' tall.


-"Clouded, Swollen", raw clay, unfired glaze, salt, sugar, 3.5' tall.


-"A Family - detail", raw clay, moss, branches, cornsyrup, red iron oxide wash.


-"A Family - detail", raw clay, moss, branches, cornsyrup, red iron oxide wash.


-"A Family - detail", raw clay, moss, branches, red iron oxide, cornsyrup, yellow ocher.


-"A Family", raw clay, moss, branches, red iron oxide, cornsyrup, red iron oxide wash.


My goal was to use painting, photography, and sculpture to turn the viewer into an explorer discovering another world. And because I was trying my best to work rather intuitively on each piece, I was able to explore my own thoughts throughout the making process. These pieces represent specific relationships I have with other people, conflicts, celebrations -- each shape, color, and decision is influenced by whatever issue my subconscious was working on. I am hoping that even though I will not reveal the true subject matter behind each piece, that the viewer will be able to sense the narrative and bring his or her own story to the work.


1 comment: