August 15, 2013

My studio at Chautauqua.



I just returned home from my second summer residency at Chautauqua Institute's School of Art program, and I really want to take the time to recommend this program to other emerging artists (most residents range from undergrad students to freshly graduated graduate students).
Applications are due at the beginning of the year. The program is 7 weeks long starting in late June and accepts around 40 students each summer. Chautauqua hosts painters, printmakers, sculptors, and ceramicists. They really try to provide each student with a scholarship and a work/study position, which is about 10 hours of work a week or less. The program is way more affordable than any other summer residency I have heard about. Check out their website to learn more: link

I was enrolled in the ceramics department for the past two years which provided us with our own studio spaces and free materials (glaze and clay materials) in exchange for up-keeping the studios for the community ceramics classes. Outside of studio upkeep, we were meeting with new ceramics faculty almost weekly. Artists that I had the pleasure of meeting and studying under this year included: David East, Blake Williams, Bryan Hopkins, Peter Beasecker, Molly Hatch, Darrien Johnson, and Errol Willet. Not to mention, Chautauqua Institute offers free programming to the students; I saw ballet, symphony, and theater performances, although I rarely had much time outside of the studio for such things.

But really, consider it: seven weeks of intensive studying, of focusing on art.
Don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions about the program.


No comments:

Post a Comment