September 5, 2014

Yellow September

-"Yellow heart, yellow bullet, others", various found and made objects.

Back from Haystack Mountain School of Crafts in Maine (it was incredible) and I'm now working in Syracuse in a great studio (so blessed to be here). Needless to say, I have a lot of catching up to do here with posting works.

Two days into my open studio experience at Syracuse now and I already have a few small objects collected from the parking lot outside and from the corners of the hallway where bits of things have floated to the side of the main walkway undetected. I found a gorgeous scrap of plywood which was tiny and shaped like a slice of cake, and I balanced a small green wire on top with copper bits spouting out the end. It was the most satisfying thing I had ever made -- so inviting and precious. I put it to bed on my white shelf near the window with a smile.
Morning comes and I return to my studio. I notice right away that my inch tall assemblage is missing...nowhere to be found. A worker walks in after I have been searching for several minutes and when asked explains that he was sure it was just a couple of scrap pieces the electrician had left behind and he had thrown out my assemblage. His confused eyes stared back at me as I explained to him that I needed those pieces, they were ART.
Art is funny. It really is. We can get so lost in a world of beauty that other people don't even notice. It's silly and consuming and important.



No comments:

Post a Comment