January 25, 2015

New Year


Lately, I have been working on balancing a busy schedule (who isn't?!). I'm enrolled in a post-baccalaureate art program, teaching art at a non-profit, working as a ceramics studio assistant, trying to take care of my family from afar, all the while attempting to keep a lively studio practice going. I've simplified my obligations and activities to be as slim as possible, but good intentions keep expanding to fill all of the corners of my agenda with projects and social commitments. Maybe I just delight in staying busy though? I often wonder how other people live and what that might feel like. How do other people balance their days?


(It is so cold here; there is frost on everything)

Though it doesn't always work this way, I like to wake up in the morning and have my first thought be gratitude.. thankful that I get another day to do this and be here. That reminder makes it much easier to take on the day.

What also has been helping me is that I'm making a deliberate attempt to slow down. That sounds so generic, but I started stopping to look at the frost on our windows; it really crawls across glass in the most beautiful way. I watch a landscape unfold in the steam from my coffee cup every morning. I have been journaling for the first time since my angsty teen years (yikes). Tiny objects that I've collected and admired are finally making their way into small assemblages:


-"A Mushroom and Baked Potato Dinner", assemblage of found and saved objects.

These are the quiet activities that bring me back from agenda-book-land. I am really looking forward to this year.



1 comment:

  1. You have been quite busy recently and I think that you deserve some rest. Of course, that is great when life is filled with plenty of wonderful events, however do not forget to relax from time to time.

    ReplyDelete