January 3, 2017

Landscape with Red Birds


"Landscape with Red Birds", acrylic painting and collage, 15" x 22". 

I love Paul Klee's work. So it was fun to do this homage to his "Landscape with Yellow Birds". I started this painting right before my beloved bird Garlox (the rescued cockatiel who was my constant companion and studio assistant) passed away. It's been sitting in the studio untouched since then. With the coming of the New Year, I finally felt ready to take on this piece again, three months after her death.
At one point I got really stuck on what to do next. I had already cut out all of those leaf shapes and was laying them on top of the painting in neat organized rows. It was boring as hell. Later that afternoon I had to clear off my desk quickly to shoot some photos for new products in my Etsy shop, so I put the painting on the floor and tossed all of the loose collage shapes onto it to keep everything together. The paper leaves landed in the most perfect way -- a way that I could not have planned myself, and I then spent the next day carefully adhering them to the painting in nearly the same way they had landed.

Happy New Year, friends. I hope you are finding time to organize yourself and your surroundings, spend time with your family, and to relax after the holiday hustle.



No comments:

Post a Comment