June 6, 2017

National Gallery of Art and Artists for Inspiration


Andrew and I traveled to Washington D. C. recently and among many other destinations, visited the National Gallery of Art. We breezed past the historical art and made our way to the East Wing, which holds the contemporary galleries. This is my new favorite art museum!
They have an amazing Theaster Gates show there right now called In the Tower: Theaster Gates. I highly recommend it. I am always looking for artists who not only make great work, but also are highly involved in social justice, human rights, community projects, etc. Good people making good work.Image result for theaster gates national gallery of art
In the Tower: Theaster Gates by Theaster Gates at the National Gallery of Art

His show is what drew us to the museum in the first place. As I was making my way through the various galleries, looking at artwork but keeping up a pretty quick pace so we could see everything we wanted to see on that busy day, imagine my surprise when I was stopped suddenly in my tracks by a big beautiful oil painting. The label read A Moment of Calm by Max Ernst. It was like nothing else I could remember him making. New favorite museum, new favorite painting.

Image result for a moment of calm max ernst
A Moment of Calm by Max Ernst at the National Gallery of Art


No comments:

Post a Comment